200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training
You’ve been practicing yoga for a while now. You feel the urge to deepen your practice, and you’re pretty certain you want to share yoga by teaching.
Join us in 2019 for our 200 Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Program!
You’ll learn how to teach yoga in a way that is appropriate, beneficial, and sustainable for all ages and conditions. When you graduate, EveryBody will feel comfortable, capable, and welcome in your classes.
We pride ourselves on our personalized approach to teaching and guiding future teachers. We limit our class size to 14 so that we can really get to know our students, understand their goals, and provide support and mentorship throughout the training and beyond.
We know you probably have lots of questions about Yoga Teacher Training. We’d be happy to meet with you to understand your goals and help you determine whether our training program is the right fit for you. Please email us to set up an appointment.
Our mission in developing The Yoga Room's 200 Hour Teacher Training program is to guide students in:
- developing a solid personal practice, which is an important foundation for lifelong learning
- understanding the fundamentals of good quality yoga teaching
- understanding how yoga can be adapted for diverse populations
- cultivating critical thinking skills so that they can continue to observe and develop as teachers
What You'll Learn
Studying to become a yoga teacher is a major life step and a big investment of time, energy, and money. To gain the most from teacher training, we recommend cultivating a daily yoga practice and weekly study so that you can learn slowly and steadily throughout the 11 months of training. In Teacher Training you will learn:
- Anatomy & Physiology - Bones, joints, muscles, and how they interact in yoga postures
- Asana & Modifications - Asana, purpose of asana, correct alignment, contraindications, and modifications
- Languaging - Effective use of language to guide asana and correct alignment
- Sequencing - How to correctly string together postures to achieve a desired result
- Breathing - Breathing techniques and how to teach them
- Meditation - Meditation techniques and how to introduce meditation in your classes
- Classroom Management - How to effectively manage your classroom environment
- Yoga Philosophy - Ancient yogic teachings and how to apply them to modern life
- Yoga Teaching Best Practices - Insider guidance for professional yoga teaching
- Practicum - Plenty of practice teaching so you'll feel prepared to teach upon graduation
- Business of Yoga - How to find your students, draw them to your classes, and be paid fairly for your work
The Yoga Room is a Yoga Alliance Registered Yoga School. Upon graduation from our 200 Hour Teacher Training Program, you will be eligible to register as a Yoga Alliance Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT-200).
Our 200 Hour Teacher Training program meets one weekend per month for 11 months. We prefer this extended schedule because it provides time for you to process your learnings and figure out how to integrate them into your personal practice and your teaching. With three to four weeks between training sessions, you'll have time to review your notes, complete assignments, and develop inquiries to enrich your experience.
Jan 18 - Opening Session (Friday)
Make-up Day TBD
Nov 9-10 (Graduation)
Class hours for the Opening Session, Jan 18, are 4:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Class hours for all weekend class dates are 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., with a one hour break for lunch.
Our Yoga Teacher Training program is designed for experienced students and assumes students will arrive with a functional understanding of yoga based on their personal practice. Before applying, please make sure you meet the following requirements:
- At least one year of consistent yoga practice by the first day of class. (One or more practice session per week; practice can be any style or format: studio, gym, private lessons, on your own, etc.)
- Attend a minimum of 5 classes (at least one Gentle and one Moderate) at The Yoga Room to gain a good understanding of our yoga teaching philosophy.
- Be able to clearly articulate why you want to attend this training.
Applications will be accepted through January 4, 2019. Please note that class size is limited to 14 - we recommend applying early to secure your spot.
Tuition for the 200 Hour Teacher Training Program is $3200. Take advantage of Early Bird pricing of $2900 through September 30, 2018.
- Monthly Unlimited Class Pass for the duration of Teacher Training
- Required books
- Access to the private Teacher Training Facebook Group for the duration of training
- Access to the private Teacher Training Alumni Facebook group upon graduation
Emily Hardeman is the Director Teacher Training and also a lead teacher. She is an E-RYT-500 and is also certified by the International Association of Yoga Therapists, as well as a Licensed Massage Therapist.
Emily has completed over 2500 hours of training in Professional Yoga Therapy, Hatha Yoga, Yoga for Fertility, Prenatal and Postnatal Yoga, Yoga Nidra, Hot Yoga, Anusara, The Business of Yoga, Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy, Massage Therapy, and Advanced Massage Therapy.
Emily has taught yoga since 2008. She was the first teacher hired at The Yoga Room in December, 2010, and she has taught over 4000 hours of yoga in various settings including fitness centers, corporate offices, birthing centers, and acupuncture clinics. In addition to teaching yoga for general populations and people dealing with the common effects of aging, Emily serves people who are rehabbing from surgery or injury, chronic pain, chronic stress, and joint replacement, as well as the elderly and athletes.
Zelinda Yañez - Lead Faculty
Zelinda Yanez, is the founder of The Yoga Room and a lead teacher in the Yoga Teacher Training program. Prior to becoming a yoga teacher and studio owner, Zelinda’s degree in Manufacturing Engineering led her to a 10 year career in High Tech where she worked in manufacturing, program management, and marketing roles.
Zelinda completed her initial 200 hour Teacher Training in Austin in 2007, and is currently enrolled in the 500 hour International Yoga Teacher Training Program at the Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram in Chennai, India.
Zelinda has taught thousands of hours of yoga instruction, in both group classes and private individual instruction. She specializes in customizing the yoga practice to meet the needs of the practitioner and has specific experience teaching Yoga for Special Needs in public schools and Yoga for Multiple Sclerosis.
She is honored to share the Krishnamacharya tradition with The Yoga Room's Teacher Trainees.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the maximum class size?
In order to maintain a high quality of learning, we limit each Teacher Training session to not more than 14 students.
Can I register for Teacher Training even if I don’t plan to teach yoga?
Yes, our Teacher Training program is an excellent learning environment for for people who are only interested deepening their personal yoga practice.
Which textbooks are required?
The required textbooks are Light On Yoga, by BKS Iyengar, and The Key Muscles of Yoga, by Ray Long, MD, FRCSC. Textbooks are included in the cost of tuition and will be provided upon acceptance to the program and payment of the tuition deposit.
Ready to register? Need more information?
Please contact us by email or call us (512-318-2112) with any questions or to set up an appointment!