Traditionally, yoga was taught one on one, from teacher to student. The instruction was customized to suit the student's needs and style of learning. As yoga gained popularity in the West, it transformed into a group exercise practice, which how we typically see yoga practiced in the US.
In addition to our Class Schedule, we maintain a steady focus on the more traditional style of yoga instruction because of our strong belief in the incredible benefits it provides.
In a 1x1 setting, the teacher is 100% focused on you as an individual. The teacher creates a completely customized practice for you.
Individual Instruction can take many forms:
- One-time session to address a specific question or issue
- Weekly session for a private class
- Ongoing sessions every few weeks for customized, take-home yoga practice
Who is Individual Instruction For?
Individual Instruction is perfect for:
- beginners (also see our Beginners Series)
- people who have any type of special issue they're working with (joint issues, balance issues, health issues, injury, pregnancy, etc.)
- athletes who need a customized practice for sports training
- people who have an erratic schedule that makes it difficult to get to the studio for group classes
- people who want to deepen their understand about something they learned in group classes
- people who want to learn something specific that's not offered in group classes (meditation, chanting, breathing techniques, philosophy, etc.)
Individual yoga instruction can help you:
- manage and reduce pain
- improve posture
- manage stress/improve relaxation
- improve sleep quality
- learn to breathe better
- improve flexibility and strength
- improve posture
- balance your fitness training (great for serious and professional athletes)
How it Works
In a One-Time Session, the teacher can address a specific question, issue, or topic. These sessions are perfect for
- understanding the alignment of a posture
- learning how to make a transition in a certain sequence
- an introduction to meditation or breathing
Weekly Sessions are like a private yoga class just for you. Each session is a customized practiced to help you meet your goals. Weekly Sessions are great for people who:
- desire a customized practice
- prefer to practice in a 1:1 setting
- need the accountability of meeting with a teacher so they can stay on track
On-Going Sessions are designed for people who desire to practice yoga at home. The reasons for practicing at home are many:
- need to put a serious focus on a specific issue
- schedule constraints make it difficult to get to the studio for classes
- prefer to practice alone
For on-going sessions, the teacher will conduct an intake at the first session to understand your objectives and priorities, and limitations, if any. Based on this information, she will design a customized practice and teach you the practice so that you can practice on your own at home. The length of the practice will be such that you can fit it into your weekly schedule. The more consistently you practice, the sooner and better results you will achieve.
At subsequent sessions, you will update the teacher about your progress, then the teacher will create a new practice to keep you working toward your goals. Generally, we recommend scheduling sessions 2-4 weeks apart.
Please email us with any questions or to book an appointment.
Scheduling Your Session
Scheduling for Individual Instruction is based on a number of factors including student's area of focus, teacher's specialization, and availability of student, teacher, and studio. Please email Pichi, our Individual Instruction Scheduler, to schedule your session(s).
In your email, please include
- a short explanation of your objective or goal
- a summary of any health issues
- your availability (days of the week and times)
We recommend letting us propose a teacher who will best suit your needs, but if you have a teacher preference please do let us know that as well, and we'll accommodate your request if at all possible.
Individual Instruction Pricing
Single Session ............................$75
Package of 5 Sessions ............$350 ($70 per session)
Package of 10 Sessions ............$650 ($65 per session)
You can pay for your Individual Instruction sessions in person at the studio or online.
Please email us and we'll get back to you soon!